Unfortunately, I have to go to sea soon, so there will be no updates until then. Thanks for those of you checking in on this project. Check back in the middle of summer for news of major updates, and here’s shooting for a beta at the end of summer. Thanks!
Well, I knew I had some memory leaks, but I didn’t realize they were so bad until I profiled it. 64MB after one fetch request.
So I went through the program and fixed the leaks, and reduced them down to 64KB, which I don’t know if I can actually get rid of since they are associated with NSNumber calls. I cannot find any Apple documentation that says whether these objects are autoreleased or not. Or even retained for that matter, since the program crashes if I don’t retain them, but if I release them myself, the program crashes. What gives? Anyway, I’m glad I went through to find these problems now, as opposed to later!
I am going to implement a goal-oriented approach to workout tracking in Fitness.app, since traditional workout routines can be used for many different personal goals ranging from weight loss and weight gain to strength routines, and endurance training. CrossFit peeps won’t have to worry though, I’m keeping you guys top priority.
I’ve been thinking about what I can build for the iPhone / iPod Touch, and am keeping this in the back of my mind, since my main focus is this program. I know I will integrate this program with a portable version, whether the portable version will be feature rich, or just a way to record daily activities is dependent on the amount of free time I have, which currently is very little.
Apple released the SDK.’nuff said.
I’ve been struggling over the past, what, two years figuring out how to combine workout data such as reps, sets and weight into a comprehensive value. This value, when compared with other values in a trainee’s workout history should be a good indication of progress, and be able to provide a visual indication of achievement. I think I’ve figured out how to combine the numbers.Given this set of data:I’ve produced this graph, which I think represents the progress quite well:Thoughts and comments are appreciated and desired.Graphing competitive workouts like CrossFit is quite easy, because I have a solid number to work with: max rounds in a set amount of time, or a shortest time to complete a set number of rounds. Graphing weight/strength training routines is quite challenging.
I’ve started working on a custom calendar for the program.
Logan Rockmore has a custom calendar that I will probably use as a starting point for the calendar. It’s pretty good but has significant drawing issues, and leaves a little to be desired. I’ll release the source after I feel that the code will be stable and useful. I’m planning on releasing the graph views source as well. If it’s possible and not too much work, they will both be Interface Builder plugins, so as to make everyone’s life a little easier.
I’m trying to figure out how to best allow users to enter variable amounts of weight, reps and sets for a particular workout. I think this may be the most difficult task so far. Trying to ensure the program is easy to use remains my top priority. A person shouldn’t really have to read any documentation on how to log their workouts and nutrition – it should be straight forward. Even generating results should be a no-brainer. The purpose of software is to save you time not waste it.
Here’s to hoping they add more hours to the day!☺
I suppose a status of how far along this really is due. Due to the complexity of the application and my newness in writing a large software program I don’t really want to release a beta or evan a late release alpha if it isn’t even ready. So right now, due to my upcoming workload at the end of the month, I will probably have to postpone a beta release until the end of summer. I know I don’t want to wait that long for people to start using this, but I don’t want to release a horrible beta that will turn users off. So I think this is the right thing to do. It’s not like there is any competition out there. Everything else out there just sucks. BAD. Honestly, I would really like to put some preliminary iPod support in this thing, and right now it looks like it will only be iPod Touch / iPhone support since that SDK will be released. I just wish there was a SDK for all the other iPods. Keep your eyes peeled.
I’ve been working on this, I just don’t have any visual progress to post this time. Besides this program I’ve been having to use my time to make a java program for my Java class, which is really burning up my time. Not that it’s hard – it just takes a while. Maybe I should act like I have no idea what is going on in my Java class so I don’t try so hard to do new things. Anyway….