Spent the day cleaning…

March 16, 2008

Well, I knew I had some memory leaks, but I didn’t realize they were so bad until I profiled it. 64MB after one fetch request.

So I went through the program and fixed the leaks, and reduced them down to  64KB, which I don’t know if I can actually get rid of since they are associated with NSNumber calls. I cannot find any Apple documentation that says whether these objects are autoreleased or not. Or even retained for that matter, since the program crashes if I don’t retain them, but if I release them myself, the program crashes. What gives? Anyway, I’m glad I went through to find these problems now, as opposed to later!

 I am going to implement a goal-oriented approach to workout tracking in Fitness.app, since traditional workout routines can be used for many different personal goals ranging from weight loss and weight gain to strength routines, and endurance training. CrossFit peeps won’t have to worry though, I’m keeping you guys top priority.

I’ve been thinking about what I can build for the iPhone / iPod Touch, and am keeping this in the back of my mind, since my main focus is this program. I know I will integrate this program with a portable version, whether the portable version will be feature rich, or just a way to record daily activities is dependent on the amount of free time I have, which currently is very little.